Monday, May 16, 2011

A Cool Two

Today I knew I needed to get out there and run. None of my usual running buddies were able to run today, so I set out from the gym on my own and ran two miles. I did pretty good considering I was without someone to talk to, my Garmin (IT FROZE! No idea what's wrong with it) or my iPod. As I was sitting here typing this blog post my Garmin started making a weird sound, so I plugged it in to charge and that FINALLY got a response out of it (it didn't work before). Now it's charging. I have no idea what happened, I simply unplugged it last night from charging and this afternoon I found it frozen at 10:18pm.

Anyway, so without my Garmin I can't be sure of my pace, but I know it was pretty slow (probably around 13 min mile, since I didn't have any trouble with side stitches). Holly calls it my "heart rate pace": the pace I can keep up semi-indefinitely. I know this is the pace I need to be at to strengthen my legs so I can then move on to increasing my distance.

Speaking of legs, they felt like lead (as usual)! I stopped to stretch them a few times but man they were tight and stayed that way. Not just my shins today, but my calves and the muscles on the outside of my lower legs, between the knee and ankle. I'm icing them as I type this :). I am happy to report that my knees did excellent for the whole two miles, no pain at all! Maybe the exercises I'm doing in the gym are helping after all.

It was a beautiful day for a run in Blacksburg: overcast, cool with a slight breeze. All in all a very pleasant run. I'm proud of myself for getting out there and pushing through the discomfort.

Miles today: 2
Time: ???

Miles this week: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment